Change Lives Through Literacy!
Summary of Position: Community Literacy Centers (CLC) is seeking an experienced, self-directed and results-oriented Literacy Program Coordinator. This position is an opportunity for an energetic professional to work collaboratively with the executive director, staff and teachers to run the largest community-based adult literacy program in the state of Oklahoma. Students in literacy programs need sound curriculum for learning the skills of reading and/or speaking in English as well as high quality instruction, which is why CLC needs a strong Literacy Program Coordinator with a background in education to oversee the program.
The CLC Literacy Program Coordinator will serve as a liaison to our LEAP (Learning, Enriching, Achieving, Preparing) partner sites, and coordinate the program. This individual will recruit, hire and supervise teachers, coordinate and facilitate teacher orientations and workshops, keep current with curriculum changes and development, and attend professional development workshops, as needed. The ideal applicant will be an Oklahoma state certified teacher with at least two years teaching experience in either basic education or English as a Second Language (ESL), who is also comfortable working in an office environment with excellent organizational and administrative skills.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervisory Duties: Supervise part-time teachers
Employment Type: Full-time, flexible days/hours, Monday through Friday, with occasional evenings or weekend hours, as needed.
Compensation: $34,000-$39,000, commensurate with experience.
- Supply an efficient structure for learning, and provide a motivating learning environment for our adult students at each location;
- Ensure that methods and materials are appropriate for the types of students in the program;
- Track students through testing and evaluating student progress, providing measurable outcomes for grant reporting;
- Chart the flow of the methods in the overall program;
- Develop curriculum aids;
- Assess the merits of computer software, manuals, and other educational materials;
- Advise teachers on the tailoring of programs for individual students, as needed;
- Recruit, interview, hire, and supervise/observe teachers with assistance from the Executive Director;
- Coordinate and facilitate one or two Teacher Orientation Workshops annually;
- Coordinate professional development opportunities for teachers;
- Work with Communications and Development Coordinator and Tutor Trainer to assist with up to four volunteer tutor training workshops annually;
- Coordinate and assign volunteer tutors in the classroom;
- Responsible for ongoing communication with teachers regarding classroom needs and updates;
- Comfortable using smart phone applications such as Remind or Group Me and other educational applications to communicate to teachers;
- During inclement weather, notify media and teachers of class closings;
- Secure substitute teachers, if needed, when possible;
- Set up and follow an annual schedule for LEAP site visits and activities, and attend some Workplace Learning sites and meetings;
- Notify the Executive Director for approval when teachers are requesting time off;
- Work with the various sites and the CLC Communications and Development Coordinator to recruit new students through marketing aids and materials;
- Update the annual calendar for classes and educational workshops;
- Responsible for overseeing student attendance for each site and provide a monthly report to the Executive Director;
- Responsible for ongoing communication with LEAP site liaisons to ensure classes are going well for sites, students and teachers;
- Responsible to set an annual schedule for and mailings to current LEAP sites, potential LEAP sites and LEAP students and teachers, as needed;
- Proctor and administer Hi-SET and CASAS testing;
- Responsible for ensuring that pre- and post-tests and surveys are carried out at all LEAP sites;
- Explore opportunities for new LEAP sites and discuss with the Executive Director;
- Work with Workplace Learning Coordinator and Executive Director to determine curriculum needs of new or existing Workplace Learning sites;
- Comfortable with public speaking at United Way site visits or other events;
- Work well individually and as part of a team
- Flexibility with work schedule required, willing and able to work occasional evenings or weekends;
- At times, other responsibilities may arise that may require the Program Coordinator to perform other duties that may or may not be directly associated with LEAP programs.
- A bachelor’s degree, teacher certificate and relevant work experience required
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Knowledge of another language, especially Spanish, preferred
- Strong organizational skills, ability to handle multiple priorities, develop work plans and schedules, meet deadlines and help with special events
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and willing to learn other software applications, as needed.
- Must have own vehicle, valid driver’s license, and automobile insurance
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs, and stand or sit for extended periods of time
To apply for this position, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepting applications through June 25, 2018.
CLC is a proud United Way of Central Oklahoma partner agency, and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds.